All I am for all He is

My journey to intimacy with God.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Happiest People on Earth (Evangelism Part 2)

As I work as A substance abuse couselor I often come across men who are estranged from their wives or girlfriends. Once they become sober they want their significant others back quickly. It doesn't usually happen. One piece of advice I always give is for the person to make his life as attractive as possible. I will ask 'Why would your significant other want you back if you are sober but miserable?' I've been thinking about these conversations in terms of evangelism and the church. What happens when the people of God are 'witnessing' but are personally miserable? I think too often we may worry too much about what to say to non-believers while neglecting to make our lives and lifestyle as attractive as possible. One day I went into work and one of my co-workers said, 'I've been watching you. You're not as happy as you used to be.' It struck me at that moment that most of my preaching was being done at work without any words being spoken. The next morning I was just as grumpy as I ever, but in my morning prayer time with my daughter I prayed that the 'joy of the Lord would be our strength' and that our joy would affect the people around us. At least 3 people made comments about my joy that day.

Demos Shakarian, the founder of Full Gospel Businessmen's Fellowship wrote a book called the 'Happiest People on Earth.' I don't remember much from it except for the idea that because of what Christ has done for us we should be the happiest people on earth. What if for an entire day I did not think about myself, my failings, my bills, my fears, my worries, my past mistakes, my future hopes, but simply focused on the love? What would happen if I spent the day medatiting on the passionate, pursuing, reckless love of God? What if I allowed myself to really accept how much my Father in heaven loves and delights in me? I would be one the happiest people on earth and the people around me would want what I have.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home